We had a very special visitor in the garden this past summer. Ellen Egan, the owner of Egan Gardens visited Gaiety Hollow for the first time!
In 1875, the Egan family established a farm on the deep Amity silt loam soils just west of the tiny hamlet of Brooks, Oregon. Later in the 1950’s, Bill Egan, Ellen’s father, started a nursery on the property. Later still, Ellen took over operations from her father and has continued to run a wonderful nursery business on the same property as the old farmstead.
Elizabeth and Edith started buying plants at Egan Gardens in the 1950’s. Records show that they were frequent customers throughout the 1950’s and 60’s, purchasing a variety of dahlias, cineraria, alyssum, hydrangeas, petunias and marigolds. However, it appears that Edith and Elizabeth were particularly fond of Egan’s premium quality geraniums.
Ellen Egan at Gaiety Hollow-Photo by Mary Anne Spradlin
The Lord and Schryver Conservancy has kept this long running relationship alive to this day. Visitors to Gaiety Hollow this past summer would have admired the many Egan-grown alyssum and salvia in the Parterre garden.
Over time, it seems that many mom and pop, brick and mortar stores have gone by the wayside. We are proud of the long-running relationship we have with this fine local grower. Supporting local businesses is one of the best ways to keep our local economy strong and thriving.
We hope to see Ellen in the garden more often. We look forward to shopping through her wonderfully stuffed hoop houses for garden offerings come spring, just as Edith and Elizabeth did many years ago.